Friday, April 5, 2013

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

 
This is a recipe that I have developed from a combination of different recipes.  I basically wanted to find the easiest way to make this dish without compromising the taste.  The end result was a great success.  I always get compliments on this dish and requests for the recipe.  Now you can make it too!



Yields: 4 Servings


Ingredients:

1 box refrigerated unroll and fill pie crusts (it comes with 2 crusts)
2 cooked chicken breasts shredded
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can chicken gravy
1/4 cup milk
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables (I get the one with carrots, green beans, peas, and corn)

Directions:

Pre-heat oven according to directions on crust box.  Roll out bottom crust and press into greased pie pan.  In a sauce pan add all other ingredients.  Warm over medium heat and stir to mix all ingredients together.  Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Pre-bake bottom crust for 5 min.

Remove crust from oven and fill with soup mixture.  Roll out top crust over pie filling and press together on sides.  Cut slits in top crust to vent.  Cover edges of crust with foil to avoid burning. 

Bake in oven for 40 min or until filling begins to bubble through vents.  Remove foil 5 min before removing pie from oven.  Allow to cool before serving. 

Tips:

If you want to get all fancy, you can brush top of pie with 1 egg beaten and 1 tbls water before baking to add shine.  Try adding herbs like rosemary and thyme to soup mixture for a nice flavor addition.  I have also seen this made with different kinds of mixed vegetables and or cheese.  I have tried it different ways, but always come back to this version as my favorite.  I sometimes make it with canned chicken or precooked rotisserie chicken to save time.  Both turned out just as good in my opinion (and totally worth it as a time saver).  I once made it with my own homemade pie crust too.  It turned out delicious, but for the time spent I would just assume use the pre-made roll out kind.  Oh, and one last thing.  This makes for excellent leftovers... in fact, I sometimes think I like it best the next day (although that could simply be because I didn't have to cook that day).

*The above photo is not mine. It looks similar to the one that I make, but I don't have any pictures of my own dish to post just yet. I borrowed that photo from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment