Sunday, March 17, 2013

Crunchy Hush Puppies

Happy St. Patric's day! It is fish and chips night at my house, and I decided to take it up a notch with some crunchy hush puppies.  This recipe is simple and flavorful.  Mine turned out really yummy but  a little larger and darker than I intended.  You should give them a try and let me know how yours turn out!

Yields: 12 hush puppies


Ingredients:


2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup white sugar

Directions:


In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, and onion powder. Blend in flour and cornmeal.
Heat 2 inches of oil to 365 degrees F.  Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls in hot oil, and fry until golden brown. Cook in small batches to maintain oil temperature. Drain briefly on paper towels. Serve hot.

Tips:


*Make a test hush puppy to ensure oil has reached desired temp and hush puppy is the size you want.  This is the mistake I made.  My oil was too hot so they cooked way too fast.  Also, I did not realize how much they would expand once in the oil, so keep that in mind when spooning them out. 

*Try adding minced jalapenos if you like a little kick to your hush puppies. 

* Another way to add some umph to your fish and chips is to "make" your own tartar sauce.  I make mine by taking 1/2 cup of mayo and adding 1 tsp garlic salt and 1/2 tsp dill weed as well as a splash of vinegar.  Mix it up and adjust seasoning to taste.  You could also add minced pickle and/or garlic if you prefer that to the seasonings.  If you add the pickle, I would leave out the vinegar.  I have also played with it by adding cayenne pepper or curry powder.  Both turned out tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment