Wednesday, November 20, 2013

New York Cheesecake

Since it has been a little while since my last update, I thought I would come back with a vengeance.  I had saved this recipe when I came across it some time ago on Allrecipes.com.  Looking for just the right occasion to make such a decadent desert, I jumped at the opportunity to make it for my dad's birthday.  It turned out amazing.  It was rich, and creamy, and sweet, and tangy, and yum!  I topped it with chocolate and cherries and homemade whipped cream to suite my parent's preferences, but it would have been delish all by itself.  Give it a try and let me know how it turns out.

I wish I would have taken a pic of it sliced, but we were too busy eating it.

Ingredients:

  • 15 graham crackers, crushed
  • 2 tbs butter, melted
  • 4 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tbs vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan (don't forget to grease the sides too).
  2. In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press onto bottom of springform pan.
  3. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in milk, and then mix in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for 5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving.

Tips:

  • For a little extra kick, try adding a tsp of cinnamon to the graham cracker mixture
  • Many people suggest that you bake this in a waterbath to help prevent cracking.  I did not try this myself, but I probably will next time.
  • Cheesecake can be very tempermental!
    •  I suggest that you only use a mixer to mix the cream cheese and sugar until smoothe and then proceed with a spoon for the remainder of the mixing process.  Overmixing can cause it to crack.
    • Don't over cook it.  Overcooking can cause it to crack.  
    • Don't open the over to check on it.  Just set the time for 60 min and then when the timer goes off, turn the oven off and leave it alone for the next 5 to 6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment