Thursday, March 14, 2013

Taco Soup

This is a great meal that I like to make when it is cold outside.  It is quick and super easy.  I love recipes that require minimal effort with maximum tastiness! This is a recipe that I got from my mom, and have made a few tweaks to fit my family's liking.  I am not sure where my mom got the recipe, but you can be sure that she did not create it herself :) 

Servings: 4

Estimated cost: $10 (That's $2.50 per serving!)


Ingredients:

2 tbs vegetable or olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 lb ground beef
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can hominy
1 can black beans
1 can chili beans
1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 packet taco seasoning

Directions:


In a large pot saute onions in oil over medium heat.  Add ground beef and taco seasoning to onions and brown until no longer pink.  Add all remaining ingredients and simmer about 10 min stirring occasionally.   The soup will be thick like chili.  If you prefer a soupier soup you can add a can of beef broth to the above ingredients.  Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with shredded cheese and a spoon full of sour creme.  Serve with tortilla chips. 


Tips:


Want to save extra money? I buy ground beef in larger quantities like a 3-5 lb package. I then break it down into 1 lb units and freeze it in individual freezer bags.  I also do this when buying onions.  I will buy a large bag of onions and then chop them all at one time and freeze them in a large freezer bag.  This also cuts down on the prep time.  The onions will kind of freeze together so you may have to pound them a little to get them to break up, but it is still worth it to me to save the time and money.  If you want to get all organic and have lots of extra time on your hands, feel free to use fresh tomatoes, green chilies, and dried beans.  I would prefer to spend that extra time with my little one!

No comments:

Post a Comment